These forums are now an archive. For the latest Maxxd news please visit our Facebook group.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
PETROL v DIESEL?
24-07-2013, 09:27 PM (This post was last modified: 25-07-2013 02:03 PM by Pyrotechnic.)
RE: PETROL v DIESEL?
Always had the same bad views about diesels, had one myself, in a Defender, and always thought that's exactly where they belong. We've just rented a diesel Megane for a week, filled it once to give it back and had done over 600 miles in it. Not brilliant performance wise, but once you get used to the power delivery it was fine. GF's Dad has just bought himself a diesel e230(?) AMG Merc, and it's incredible.

EDIT: It's an E3(2?)50 CDI with 'AMG Sport Pack' (I didn't think AMG made diesels).
[Image: CarSig4.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
31-07-2013, 12:37 AM
Always thought diesels were boring and loud. Our 120D isnt loud at all. Can not even tell its a diesel when inside it. Also the torque is immense. So much fun to drive. Next for me would deffo be a bigger engined diesel.

Pug 106 GTI - 14.52 @ 94.68mph
Starlet GT turbo - 15.75 @ 88mph
200SX S14A - 13.71 @109mph

http://www.facebook.com/carl.widdo

instagram - w7ddo

31-07-2013, 12:41 AM
Petrol for me!..........

Unless you can get a diesel that sounds like my vr6 but still gives good mpg?! Then I may be swayed lol
Find all posts by this user
31-07-2013, 07:55 AM
They make good daily drives, but I wouldn't want one as a track day car. Not yet anyway. My Civic sounds like a bag of s**t, but I get reasonable mileage and it has good low down torque. It quickly runs out of go though, I'm tempted to map it. Should really get the Impreza roadworthy again though.
31-07-2013, 11:48 PM
petrol smells better :-)
[Image: Picture4.png]
Im so JDM im going to import my children !!!
Lower than a smackheads morals!!
01-08-2013, 05:11 PM
(24-07-2013 09:27 PM)Pyrotechnic Wrote:  EDIT: It's an E3(2?)50 CDI with 'AMG Sport Pack' (I didn't think AMG made diesels).

AMG don't make diesels, the "AMG Sport" package is a badge & trim exercise only. The only time they've dabbled is with the left-hook-only C30 CDI AMG from 2003. 231bhp & 540NM of torque but unfortunately only available over here in flaccid-penis 3-door guise.

My two-penneth: Diesels and petrols have their own specific character and the "which is better" debate depends entirely on what you want to do with it. For a daily commute I'd go diesel, but for pleasure you can't beat the soul & emotion of a petrol engine.
"If it's got tits or wheels, you can't afford it..."
02-08-2013, 11:10 AM
Ive always been told that diesel is good for long distance driving, but is about as efficient round towns and stuff.

Also the cost of diesel is more than petrol now... Be interesting to see how that plays out with one of the more fuel efficient petrol cars..

Might be cheaper to run one of them! Icon_lol
I am Olly
24-10-2013, 09:34 AM
Go for petrol...!! For better mileage..2013 MERCEDES BENZ SL-CLASS
02-03-2014, 12:28 AM (This post was last modified: 02-03-2014 12:31 AM by Tom.)
The only thing i miss from petrol cars is the exhaust note, the girlfriend has a 350Z that feeds my 'fix' so ill stick to my Diesels :cheesy grin: couldn't imagine driving the 350 full time tbh Icon_neutral

Now if you asked me this 6 or so years ago....
Peugeot 306 1.9 DT PH1
Peugeot 306 1.9 DT PH2
Peugeot 106 Rallye S2
Renault Clio RenaultSport
Candy White Seat Leon FR
Mineral White BMW e92 Coupe on 19s Icon_cheesygrin
"A true petrol head.. completes a track day on a sunday and is home in time for tea and Top Gear"