These forums are now an archive. For the latest Maxxd news please visit our Facebook group.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
PETROL v DIESEL?
24-07-2013, 02:00 PM
PETROL v DIESEL?
What people's views on the age old Petrol v Diesel debate?

When I passed my test, the idea of buying a diesel was ludicrous and just not an option. They were slow, noisy, usually low spec and definately not cool. Icon_evil

But today the diesel has moved on to such a degree that I for one will probably not go back to a Petrol for a daily runner.

I'm currently running a Ford Mondeo ST TDCi with a powerful 2.2 powerplant knocking out 155 bhp and a whopping 295 ft.lb of torque. The cars has more toys inside than any car previous and looks the tits. With a few minor mods I could easily be at the 200bhp mark, over 400 ft.lb torque and still rolling 40+ mpg.Icon_cool

18000 mile per year was a big factor for me but but Clare only doing 5000 per year she refused to move from petrol power.

What do you all think?
[Image: TRIO_zps6cf8f5e5.png]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
24-07-2013, 02:21 PM
RE: PETROL v DIESEL?
I'd always been against diesels, think it was mostly due to prices.

But since putting a diesel in my e30 I love them. Would rather drive a diesel over a petrol car anyday of the week, Probably why I hate the petrol e36 lol.
[Image: gem.4.jpg]
^ The only M51 2.5TDS E30 in the UK ^
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
24-07-2013, 02:28 PM (This post was last modified: 24-07-2013 02:29 PM by Alanman.)
(24-07-2013 02:21 PM)-Gem- Wrote:  I'd always been against diesels, think it was mostly due to prices.

But since putting a diesel in my e30 I love them. Would rather drive a diesel over a petrol car anyday of the week, Probably why I hate the petrol e36 lol.

That is a good point, the Diesel versions of the same car are usually more to buy. My Mondeo ST for example. I could have bought the petrol 3000cc for about £1000 less. Same car, same spec, only difference was the engine. It was a close call and I nearly went for the petrol but sense provailed in the end. That £1000 has already been worth it with the fuel saving over the last 18 months (approx 25,000 miles).
24-07-2013, 04:35 PM
I have both, but only because my commute is 640 miles per week so the Avensis swallows up the miles, with minimal effort at best part of 70mpg.

Sure, diesels have became less like tractors and a tad more refined, but unless you have a long distance to cover regularly then I'd take petrol everytime, the diesels are just so boring.

It's all down to the job it's got to do I suppose, if we still worked in ollerton, then we would still have the other corolla!
[Image: sig2010.jpg]

Jordan Wrote:Aidan, dont you think you have got enough wheels
Aidan Wrote:Don't you think you've got enough shoes

WWW.GARAGEAWESOME.COM
24-07-2013, 04:45 PM
Personally I see it like this;

Petrols are for fun, sports/performance cars. Nothing beats a petrol engine like that. Diesels for me dont offer that, even with a remap and your Volkswagen golf can do a billion miles per hour in a straight, I dont care.

Diesels for me, are brilliant cars for distance driving and for a family car. If I could choose a car to have as a family car, 2.7l Diesel Jaguar XF luxury Premium. For me, no petrol car will ever beat a diesel in that category. My dads KIA Ceed stationwagon is a brilliant motorway cruise, 60mpg down the motorway, combfortable car, brilliant Mercedes engine.

In a way though, thats all subjective; I dont know of a diesel sports car bar a VXD Astra or whatever they are, so if they make a diesel sports car it would be very interesting to see how it would handle and perform.

In a way, its a car by car basis really but for the sake of a simplistic categorisation; petrol = fun, diesel = family/distance
24-07-2013, 04:51 PM
2 diesel cars that ruin the argument a bit lol

[Image: Seat%20Diesel%20BTCC-L.jpg]

[Image: 2008-Audi-R10-TDI-LMS-Barcelona-4-1280x960.jpg]
[Image: sig2010.jpg]

Jordan Wrote:Aidan, dont you think you have got enough wheels
Aidan Wrote:Don't you think you've got enough shoes

WWW.GARAGEAWESOME.COM
24-07-2013, 05:30 PM
Oh I know about HDi FAP V12 that peugeot raced in Le Mans, but theres no road cars I mean. I dont think any of us will afford an Audi R18 or a Peugeot 908!

Le Mans have gone Diesel which is sensible, because if you think, what is Le Mans? endurance racing, distance and going as fast as possible and making fuel last is the key to success; its surprising it took until 2005 for Diesel Hybrids to be considered.
24-07-2013, 05:30 PM
Topgear did the 535d v M5

The track time for the 535d was mixing it up with petrol cars.

Attached File(s) Image(s)

24-07-2013, 07:13 PM
(24-07-2013 05:30 PM)Alanman Wrote:  Topgear did the 535d v M5

The track time for the 535d was mixing it up with petrol cars.

To be honest the top gear tracks not that good. The 350z got the same time as the RX8; which is hilarious as the 350z is a level above the RX8. around Angelsey its 2 seconds slower than the Z and at Virginia raceway its 7 seconds slower than the Z. The 535D is also 1.2 seconds slower than the Z around Hockenheim short according to fastest laps.

I always thought the strength of diesel was acceleration when remapped, its downfall was the weight and handling.
24-07-2013, 07:19 PM
I've never wanted a diesel, they have always sounded horrible, kicked out black smoke, boring and just not my thing. Until recently, new diesels seem to have come on loads and for starters some don't sound like tractors and kick black smoke out all the time. Would I have one now? Yes but it would have to be the right one