These forums are now an archive. For the latest Maxxd news please visit our Facebook group.

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Votes - 3.8 Average
*MAXXD* Pyro's Subaru Impreza Bugeye
10-07-2009, 07:46 PM
RE: Pyro's Impreza
I'm not really a big fan of them myself to be honest.
[Image: CarSig4.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-11-2009, 08:39 PM (This post was last modified: 01-11-2009 08:41 PM by Pyrotechnic.)
Looks like I've neglected this thread a little...

Anyway, ages ago this arrived:
[Image: ManifoldNew.jpg]

It's a stainless steel un-equal length manifold, like the turbo'ed Imprezas have, so it sounds like one now Icon_biggrin

So it was (eventually) off with the old equal length one:
[Image: ManifoldOld.jpg]

Took about 2 days of WD-40 and straining/swearing/hitting with hammers and:
[Image: SpannerSnap.jpg]

But it went on in the end:
[Image: ManifoldNew2.jpg]

It was worth it though, definitely worth it ;]

Few of you might have seen on FB the other week that it went for it's MOT, and failed due to the exhaust being too loud (sorry, not 'too loud' the technicality was that it was significantly louder than that of a similar, standard exhaust system) so it went back the next day with the bung in and it passed ;]

I got to sample this beasty though:
[Image: Justy.jpg]

And now onto the latest project.

Not content with spending all day at work infront of a PC, and all evening/weekend at home infront of a PC, I'm putting one in the Scoobatron too Icon_biggrin

[Image: Carputer_01.jpg]

Complete with a 7" touchscreen monitor that will eventually get fab'ed into the dash:
[Image: Carputer_02.jpg]

And the inside if anyone's interested (for size, that motherboard is 17cmx17cm but it's still a 1.6GHz dual core, so it's more than fast enough):
[Image: Carputer_03.jpg]

Basically at the moment it'll play music (whole music library on the HDD) and play movies, it's also got WiFi so I can browse the web (where there's a connection) and it'll replace my TomTom for navigation. Though to be honest, it's just a normal PC but smaller, so it'll do anything normal computer will do really.

The plan is though to make it much more than just a fancy headunit:

It'll interface with the ODBII port to get vehicle stats, meaning I can spot and diagnose problems sooner.

It'll also let me have digital gauges (like the Nissan GT-R (sad I know, but epically cool too ;] )).

I can implement some sort of voice control to interface with everything.

And eventually code some kind of pseudo AI into it. Now, were not talking KITT here (although I'd be lying if I said the thought of getting a turbo bonnet with a vent and putting the red running light from KITT in it hadn't crossed my mind...), but simple things like, say you've got 50 miles worth of fuel left, and there's a garage in the next 15 miles. Chances are you're not going to stop. But the system might know that the next garage after that is 55 miles away, and you won't make it, so it'll tell you and suggest you stop.

There're also various USB interface boards you can get to interact with the electronics of the car. eg; it'll turn your lights on when it gets dark if you forget (which I'm bad for) or put the windows up when you go over a certain speed.

There's loads of other ideas batting around in my head too...

Oh, and since it'll be placing the current headunit, it looks like I'll be needing some subs and amps too, damn...
01-11-2009, 09:06 PM
That Manifold looks awesome on! bet its a shame its under the car!!!

As for the computer..stuff like this always interests me but i never understand electronics it looks like its gonna be brill though, keep this updated it reminds me of a newth style project!
[Image: sig2010.jpg]

Jordan Wrote:Aidan, dont you think you have got enough wheels
Aidan Wrote:Don't you think you've got enough shoes

WWW.GARAGEAWESOME.COM
01-11-2009, 09:28 PM (This post was last modified: 01-11-2009 09:31 PM by Pyrotechnic.)
(01-11-2009 09:06 PM)OllieWestwood Wrote:  That Manifold looks awesome on! bet its a shame its under the car!!!

It is a shame, same with the backbox, they're the shiniest bits on it! Whilst I was fitting it I winced everytime it hit the floor or scraped it, I'd dread to think what condition it's in now (since the under tray doesn't fit anymore so it's sat in my porch at the moment) especially after getting the thing airborne on the way back from Mallory, I don't even want to look :[

(01-11-2009 09:06 PM)OllieWestwood Wrote:  As for the computer..stuff like this always interests me but i never understand electronics it looks like its gonna be brill though, keep this updated it reminds me of a newth style project!

I'm the opposite when it comes to engines and mechanical stuff, I know the theory side, and could probably explain all the physics of how it works, but when it comes to the practical stuff, any more than changing a wheel or bolting something on (eg the manifold) it's off the the garage I'm afraid.

Get yourself on http://mp3car.com, there's some stunning installs on there (there's even the odd 200SX...).

It's completely unnecessary stuff really, so totally in-keeping with the modifying way of life ;]

Sure I could just wire up a switch to turn my amps on, but why do that when I can have a shiney button on my touchscreen? and why do that when I can just speak 'amps on' Icon_biggrin
13-01-2010, 03:28 PM
Vortex generator arrived this morning, it's, err, a little bigger than I imagined, but hey :/ Will post pics when I get home.

Also, possibly looking for new wheels, can't find anything I like enough though :[
13-01-2010, 08:26 PM
Should take about 5 seconds to fit, just some tape and the getting round to I need now...

[Image: VGen.jpg]
14-01-2010, 12:22 PM
Vortex generator's sound like they belong on the millenium falcon or some shit..

LOVE the fact you are putting a PC in your car!

In regards wheels, what kinda things do you like?
I am Olly
14-01-2010, 03:10 PM
(14-01-2010 12:22 PM)olstar Wrote:  Vortex generator's sound like they belong on the millenium falcon or some shit..

LOVE the fact you are putting a PC in your car!

In regards wheels, what kinda things do you like?

I doubt you would find one on the Falcon, there's no air in space, hence no need for aerodynamics tounge

It'll go in when I get round to it, and it stops being useful as a fast, light-weight, portable PC...

As for wheels, I really don't know what I like, it's honestly just a case of trawling eBay, wheels shops, forums etc til I find something that jumps out at me. So far I've seen some Rota GRAs and some Lenso S73s that I like the look of.
14-01-2010, 08:12 PM
Looks like I've caught moditis, just bough a new boot lid, minus one significant bit...
14-01-2010, 08:20 PM
Fuck yes
[Image: 923273_10151649952016070_1498315856_n_zps3c8d20a4.jpg]

We're not back because we never went anywhere.
Find all posts by this user

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  *MAXXD* Pyro's Audi RS4 Avant Pyrotechnic 13 13,788 14-07-2013 01:07 AM
Last Post: Pyrotechnic
  *MAXXD* Shane's Impreza Turbo 2000AWD Saint AAI 140 133,710 11-07-2013 08:19 AM
Last Post: Saint AAI